Sunday, September 26, 2010

Tuscany Red Sunflower Series V Pastel by P. O'Shields


Tuscany Red Sunflower Series V
 Pastel 12 x 16 without mat   -  Red Sunflower
 Canson Mi-Teintes
copyright 2010 PO'Shields
 
My Inspiration:  Sunflowers on the back roads of Tuscany. I came across a fields of Red and Mahogany  Sunflowers and could not resist sketching one right on the spot. The petals are very velvety.
When visiting Tuscany each year I paint Sunflowers, Lavender and Olive Trees.  Each Tuscan Sunflower is  different with it's own personality,  thus I usually sketch en plein air
 the one that jumps out at me.

There is nothing more beautiful than the Tuscan fields of golden sunflowers surrounding a golden rustic house with a terra cotta roof.  These are views that I use in large paintings, but for the sketching en plein air there is always one sunflower among the many that calls out to be drawn. I will be posting over the next few weeks series of these  plein air sketches. 

Bravissima!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments